Log in to your account.
Job Description and Application
We are currently fully staffed but take ongoing applications in case a position becomes available. See below for the application questions and where to send your application. People of color, queer folks and women are encouraged to apply.
Yard care job description
Pedal People's yard care service uses reel push mowers, scythes, rakes and other hand tools, transported by bicycle around Northampton. We started in Spring 2013 and have a small established customer base, and are looking to build this aspect of our business.
Specific yard care responsibilities
- managing the marketing and development of the yard care business
- mowing, scything, raking and shoveling
- working with customers to negotiate pricing and scope of each job
- riding a bicycle with yard care tools in Northampton
Specific yard care qualifications
- experience with lawn and yard care
- experience in marketing a service oriented business
Hauling job description
People People's hauling services are primarily moving recycling, trash and compost, but we also do deliveries for a cloth diaper service and deliver food from local farms.
Specific hauling responsibilities
- riding a bicycle in Northampton, hauling a trailer with up to 300 lbs of weight; riding all year long in all weather conditions
- sorting trash, recycling, and food scraps
- lifting at least 30 lbs chest high
More details about both jobs
Responsibilities common to all positions
- using a computer at least 15 minutes per day of work
- attending collective meetings once a month and participating meaningfully in the ownership of the business
Qualifications common to all positions
- a belief in human power as a viable option to motorized vehicles
- a commitment to doing what is best for the whole collective
- an ability to ride a bicycle safely and legally in traffic (additional training can be provided as needed)
- enjoyment of physical labor
- easy to get ahold of via phone, email, or in person
- reliable, initiative-taking, invested in the business
- able to work independently as well as in a group
- open to giving and receiving constructive criticism
Compensation & hours
- Part-time: 5 to 10 hours/week to start, eventually working up to as many hours as you want as work becomes available.
- Most pay is by the job, and works out to between $15 to $20 per hour, depending on your speed. Most work can be done independently and at your own pace, with some flexibility in the hours.
- We're looking for someone able to make at least a one-year commitment.
Pluses in an applicant
- ability to maintain and fix bicycles and equipment
- accounting skills, computer programming skills, marketing skills
- an interest in diversifying and expanding the business
- secretarial and public relations skills, ability to return phone calls and emails and communicate with customers and the general public
- living in or near Northampton/Florence - most work shifts and meetings are only 1-4 hours long, and some are available spur of the moment, so living close makes it more economical to participate in the collective
- Pedal People is entirely owned and run by its workers. New workers go through a 9-month apprenticeship period, which must include 3 months of winter. After that, if all of the current full members agree, you'll become a full voting member of the cooperative. We use a consensus process to make decisions.
- There are many opportunities to develop other aspects of a human-powered business (yard care, moving jobs, deliveries).
- All workers must invest $100 in the cooperative, which can be paid in installments, which will be returned upon leaving.
- All trailers and related equipment are provided. Most people use their own bicycles and are responsible for their own maintenance.
- Pedal People does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, veteran status, or sexual orientation. No CORI checks.
- Affirmative action: If Pedal People has two or more equally qualified candidates for a position, preference will be given to people of color, queer folks and women.
Please e-mail the completed application to hiring AT pedalpeople DOT coop
or mail it to: Pedal People Cooperative Inc., PO Box 415,
Northampton, MA 01061-0415.
- Contact Info: (Phone, mailing address, email)
- Which jobs are you applying for? Yard care, hauling, or both?
- Why are you interested in becoming a member of Pedal People?
- What skills and interests will you bring to the collective?
- If applying for the yard care position, what experience do you have with yard care?
- Tell us about your experience with bicycles.
- Tell us about your experience with cooperatives or working in groups.
- How long will you be in the area and able to work for Pedal People?
- What days and times are you currently available?
- What is the best way to reach you?
- Please give names and contact info of at least two people who have had a working relationship with you.
- Please attach a resume or write a description of your past work experiences.
Thanks for taking the time to fill this out!